- REUCSIn pursuit of its mandate, REA has embarked on community awareness raising campaigns to mobilize and sensitize rural communities across the country to form Rural Electricity Users Cooperative Society (REUCS). Rural communities are expected to own operate and maintain their electricity networks in collaboration with private companies providing the know-how required to operate such systems effectively and efficiently.
- To promote productive use of electricity for domestic and commercial purposes.
- To educate rural communities on effective and efficient use of electricity
- To partner with Electricity Distribution Companies and IPPs in their localities for the provision of electricity at an affordable price.
- To solicit for cooperation, understanding and support of all stakeholders in the electricity business for the provision of electricity in the rural communities.
- To encourage community participation through provision of affordable and sustainable electricity in the rural areas.
- To create platforms for interactions between the rural communities and all the stakeholders in the electricity business in their areas.
- To ensure prompt payment of electricity bills by member through the cooperative society.
- To encourage members to offer services willingly for the collective benefit of communities.
- To educate communities on the use of electricity, operation, maintenance and safety through public awareness campaigns.
- Membership is voluntary and open to all electricity users in the community irrespective of gender, religion and political affiliation.
- Application for membership shall be made through the secretary of the society.
- A member shall be admitted after election by the Management Committee subject to confirmation at the General Meeting of the society.
- A formal letter of membership shall be issued to each duly assigned by the secretary of the society
An appreciable progress has been recorded since the introduction of these initiatives in the 36 States of the Federation and FCT, Abuja. Several communities spread across the six geo-political zones of the country have been sensitized and registered with certificates as Cooperative Societies.
The number of communities that have been sensitized and keyed into the REUCS initiative from 2009 – May 2017, are 497. while 99 communities are registered with REUCS certificates.
The total certificates of communities registered into REUCS with the CHQ are 99