NPSP REA GENDER WORKSHOP
Event Communique – March 2019
Amplifying Gender in the Energy Sector
The Rural Electrification Agency (REA) is committed to driving for gender inclusion in the Nigerian energy sector. Gender mainstreaming is a core objective of the Agency. In implementing this objective, the REA in collaboration with the USAID – Nigeria Power Sector Program (NPSP), organized the first sector gender workshop themed “Amplifying Gender in the Energy Sector” on February 9th, 2019.
The aim of the workshop was to discuss barriers and challenges faced by women developers, investors, and leaders in the energy sector; their capacity development needs and the role of gender in the Nigerian energy sector.
Objectives of the workshop include:
• Introducing women in the Nigeria private and public sector to the work of REA and NPSP
• Gaining an understanding of the gender challenges, barriers, and capacity development needs
• Conduct a baseline survey that will establish the key performance indicators for the NPSP Gender Workshops.
• Informing the design of NPSP’s activities
• Guiding the implementation of REA’s programmes and initiatives
• Encouraging increased participation by women in the power sector